Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cleanup on Aisle 9 . . .

...and on aisle 12, 16 and every other aisle I used to shop on in the grocery store.

Today I went grocery shopping for the first time since beginning the 100 day Heart Challenge. Wow! What a different experience. After cleaning out my fridge in an attempt to throw out temptations, I headed to the grocery store with a very different grocery list in my hands. No baking items on the list (in my other life I have a food blog dedicated to baking), no breakfast cereals, no sweet treats, no chips. Instead I ended up spending more time in the produce section than I have in years (yeay me!). There were certain aisles I avoided altogether, and others I longingly looked at as I walked by. But... walk by them I did. So I guess that's progress.

Tonight's dinner didn't come out of a box nor was it delivered by someone expecting a tip. It was served up by the produce section of my local grocery store. I threw together a pseudo-stir-fried/steamed vegetable dish with chicken, red peppers, green beans, broccoli, carrots, snow peas and a sprinkling of slivered almonds. If I do say so myself, it was pretty good.

While I suspect I will have serious withdrawals, I've decided not to tempt fate by perusing my favorite baking blogs. I'm going to have to put my focus on developing new eating and cooking habits. So... the computer is on the austerity plan and the fridge is now stocked with entirely different food items.

The next big change will be the daily workouts. I meet with my trainer for the first time tomorrow afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Great headline "Cleanup on isle 9"! I got a good chuckle out of it. Keep up the good work! Baked goods are a weakness for me. It is tough for me to be around food all day long at work, especially having my office 15 feet from our bakery department.

    ReplyDelete