Saturday, June 25, 2011

Channeling my Inner Hindu

In what feels like another lifetime, many years ago, I played tennis.  In school, my partner, Marla Parsons, and I (yeah, yeah, Marla and Karla... go ahead, laugh it up a bit) won the doubles competition.  We were finalists in the singles too, and I honestly don't remember which of the two of us won. I just remember how much I loved playing tennis.  My very long-suffering mother allowed me to practice by hitting the tennis ball against our garage door... for hours on end. I would go to the local rec center and play often.  Like I said, that was a lifetime ago.

In yet another life, not quite as many years go, I walked a lot. About 50 miles a week. I got up at 6:00 in the morning and walked my route. At noon, I left work, drove down to the beach and walked along the shore for about 45 minutes. After work, I'd come home and walk my same neighborhood route again.  I would walk and I would think. (I had a lot to think about back then.)  Sometimes I would even talk to myself.  Hmmmm, maybe that's why no one ever joined me along the way. They probably thought I was nuts.

Currently in life I am out of shape and overweight. We've already discussed some of the reasons that happened. Of course, the greatest reason is because I quit moving around and being active.

So now here I am in this life. JD, my trainer, has me walking on a treadmill.  With all the buttons and settings, I don't get to escape into my own head and think much. I'm too worried about getting the intervals right for the speed and incline settings.  At lunchtime, I leave work and walk (though lamentably, it isn't at the beach).  I also walk around my neighborhood or down the Provo River trail most every day.

Yesterday, JD threw out an idea that caught me up short. He's thinking of taking his three plebes (that would be me and the other two heart challenge participants he is working with) and having us go somewhere and play... wait for it...  TENNIS!

Talk about all my lives quickly coming together!


(BTW, there was another time in my adult past that I swam a lot. Early morning laps or early evening laps at Swanson Pool in San Diego.  I'm not about to mention that to JD. That would just be... well... let's just say feeling like a tugboat in the water would not be... um... motivational at this point.)

5 comments:

  1. JD is my trainer too. He said the same thing to me. I have swung a tennis racket may be twice in my life. Somehow I just don't see me doing that. But JD says he can teach me. I think you and him woud kick my back side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap. You're starting to inspire me. I need to stop reading this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need a fourth to play doubles, I'd love to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Karla! I'm proud of you for sticking to it, despite the injury. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tennis first. Swimming later...
    -JD

    ReplyDelete