Friday, July 1, 2011

The Power of a Decision

Most everyday this week, I have had a conversation with myself as my workday ends.  I start asking, "Am I going to the Wellness Center to work out or am I going home?" I vacillate between the two choices for a good ten minutes.  Then as I walk to the car I have chosen to say to myself, "Yes, I am going."  It sounds like a silly thing. But surprisingly enough, the simply act of saying definitively, "yes, I am going" seems to end the debate in my head. I turn down 300 West and turn into the driveway by the Outpatient Center and then head up to the Northwest Plaza, park, grab the bag holding my workout clothes (clothes I detest, by the way), and go on in.

I don't really enjoy the "during" part of exercising. But I sure like how the "after" feels. There must be something to this whole endorphin thing. I hope someday the "during" becomes more enjoyable. But, if not, I'm still committed.  I guess I'm a junkie for the "after."

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like me every morning this summer. Afterwards I am usually happy I did it (instead of feeling guilty for not). Last summer I never hesitated to get up early in the morning to workout because I knew my friend would be waiting for me. You can do it!

    Congrats on the engagement. I bet her parents will get over it with time. My parents went through the same thing with Brett while we were dating. They liked him when he was my friend and then we were dating they began to freak out because he was an RM. It didn't matter who I dated, it was the fact that he was an RM. (So you know, they love him now!!! :) ) Have fun in Yosemite.

    ReplyDelete