Sunday, July 24, 2011

Very Quick Check-In

Sorry to have been so AWOL lately. Summer is a busy time for me. Lots of leaving the state and no access to the Internet.

I'm back home in sunny San Diego.  It's been days of beach, cove, sunshine and visiting old haunts.  Lots of fun.  One of our family's favorite places is Mr. Frostie's in Pacific Beach.  Yesterday, the sister, the nieces and the son decided to head there after an afternoon at the beach.  I fought the demon impulses of "rationalize and tell yourself lies that you won't order anything... you'll just be there with everyone else."  In other words... I chickened out!!! Wasn't sure I could withstand the menu calling my name with bright neon transfat lights and seductive sugary subliminal messages.  So... I went home instead and waited for them there.  For the first time in I don't know how many years, I didn't go to Mr. Frostie's.  Now, here comes the true confession: I'm not happy about it. I didn't (and don't) feel triumphant or strong or anything. I feel like I missed out on a family tradition. It bums me out. I hate thinking I'm still so weak about that kind of stuff that I can't be around it without caving.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a zealot. I'm not living a "no sugar, not ever" life.  But, I've been watching my caloric intake during this vacation, and I just knew I couldn't fit in the calories of a trip to Mr. Frostie's.

I'll be back home on Tuesday. Back to the gym. Back to the Provo River Trail.  If the rumors are true, I hear I'll also be back on the tennis courts on Saturday (after a 30-year hiatus).  So, for the next two days, I'm just going to continue to enjoy my escape here in San Diego and the beach life that doesn't exist anywhere in Utah. (Don't kid yourself... that Provo Beach Resort thing at RiverWoods doesn't even come close!!!)

See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment